7 February 2016

Things that make you cry

Simple kindness and simple human heart-to-heart connection.
Across time and generations, coming from unexpected places.

I have started reading a book by Carl Rogers and Barry Stevens "Person to Person. The Problem of Being Human". I'm only 10 pages in, just some 10 yellow old pages of this 1970s edition, with sentences carefully underlined by the book's previous owner... and this book has already made me cry.

A thought that each man "steps to the music that he hears", his own inner trumpet resonates acutely with me.  This is not easy to get in tune with this trumpet, and oh boy, is not not easy to admit that I've been marching to the music of many different trumpets, none of which were my own.

There's also a poem in this book, I don't know who the author is. A heart-to-heart stuff which came to me when I needed it the most.

Be not like the child in all ways, child,
For the child in his impatient curiosity pries open the bud,
And the blossom he so wished to see
Is lost to everyone on earth forever

Let thyself unfold thyself,
Without manipulation even by thee.
Let thy life also unfold itself around thee,
Without manipulation by thyself.

Removing impatience, let thy curiosity
Play lightly over this soft unfolding,
Which is essential to the flower of thyself,
For thyself and thy life and the world are one.

If you will but try this soft unfolding, child,
Then the flowering of thyself will be
Both more than you can possibly imagine,
And all that you have wished and longed to be.



No comments: